Wix Review: Is The Wix Website Builder Right For You?
It doesn’t get much easier than the Wix website builder – just drag, drop and go! There are many tools and platforms for creating quick and easy websites but Wix is one of the most popular, and for good reason. To begin with, it’s free but the fun doesn’t stop there. There are hundreds of themes to select and countless plugins to customize your website to your exact specifications. In this review we’ll be exploring some of the main features of the Wix website builder and rating it in several key areas.
- Wix is Ideal for…
- Templates & Design
- Mobile Optimization
- Ease of Use
- Extra Features
- In Conclusion
Highlights of Wix Website Builder
Wix is a user friendly website builder that is appropriate for beginners, though more experienced users can also benefit from many of the features, such as the wide selection of website templates. Some of the top features offered by Wix include:
- Website building tools are suitable for people without technical expertise.
- 100s of high quality website templates.
- Optimized for mobile.
- Offers free website builder or a wide choice of premium plans.
- Tools to integrate your site with social media.
Who is the Ideal User?
There are several ideal users for the Wix website builder.
- Beginners who want a simple way to build their first website.
- Bloggers who want a blogging platform that integrates easily with social media.
- Marketers who want a robust e-commerce platform for their website.
- Small businesses that want a good choice of website templates that match their industry.
Because this website builder provides so many diverse website templates, it’s actually suitable for many different purposes. This flexibility is what makes it appealing to so many users, from bloggers to people with brick and mortar businesses to those who want to start large e-commerce sites. Now let’s look at some of the specific features and rate them on a scale from 1 to 5, with 5 being the best.
Website Templates & Design
There are hundreds of website templates for many different interests and businesses. For example, you can find website templates for restaurants, lawyers, music, photography, sports, e-commerce and books, to name just a few. Starting with the most appropriate template, you can then customize your site in many different ways. The website templates are at the foundation of the website builder, and make it possible to build a very impressive and professional looking website for free (or at a very low cost if you choose one of the premium plans). It’s hard to beat this website builder when it comes to the diversity, quality and customization ability of the website templates.
Rating for Website Templates and Design: 5/5.
Mobile devices have become immensely popular over the last few years -not only for talking on the phone, but also for browsing the web. That’s why it’s so important to make sure your website is optimized for mobile as well as computer users. You can create an Optimized Mobile View with one click to make your site look great to people on smartphones. You can use any of the website templates to create a professional looking mobile site.You can edit and customize the mobile site without altering the desktop version. You’ll still have one URL for both versions, which is good for ranking in the search engines -no need to worry about ranking for two separate sites. The Wix Learning Center has quite a bit of information to help you learn how to edit and manage a mobile site. All in all, you have access to cutting edge tools that make it easy to create mobile sites without having to create a second web address.
Rating For Mobile Optimization: 5/5.
Ease of Use
One of the selling points of any good website builder is that it’s simple for anyone, even complete newbies, to set up a website quickly. The entire system is indeed quite straightforward and can allow you to build a site from scratch within minutes. To build a free website, you simply choose a theme among the hundreds of website templates and follow the instructions. The editor is very intuitive and operates on a drag and drop basis.
If you decide you want to connect your website to a domain, this is very simple to do. Depending on the plan you choose, you can either use an existing domain or purchase one. Some of the more advanced premium plans (see below) include a free domain registration. Whether you choose the free plan or one of the premium ones, it would be hard to devise a more user friendly website builder.
Rating for Ease of Use: 5/5.
The basic Wix website builder is free. You can to set up a very professional looking website for free using Wix, which gives you access to all of the great website templates, the web editor and all of the other main features. There are, however, certain drawbacks to the free plan. First and foremost, you will not have your own domain. This will make it more difficult to rank your website with the search engines. There are also Wix ads on free sites, which will make it a little harder to brand yourself. There are several premium plans that start at less than $5 per month.
- Connect Domain – For only $4.08 per month you can connect your domain to your Wix website, which is good for branding and SEO purposes. This option does not, however, remove ads.
- Combo -For $9.25 per month you can not only connect your domain, but domain registration is included as well. Ads, including mobile ads, are removed. You also get premium support.
- Unlimited – $12.42 per month. Provides unlimited bandwidth, no mobile ads, premium support and Google Analytics.
- eCommerce – $16.17 per month. This includes a shopping cart, and is a good choice for anyone who wants to sell products.
- VIP -$24.90 per month. Includes a professional website review and priority call back. This is the most comprehensive plan offered by Wix.
The free site is good for anyone who wants to get started without spending any money. There are enough premium plans to ensure you are only paying for features you actually want. On the other hand, the eCommerce and VIP plans are a bit pricey when compared to what you can get with quality shared web hosting plans.
Rating for Cost: 4/5.
A user friendly website builder must also provide good support. While Wix is designed to be intuitive and provides step-by-step instructions in every area, there are still going to be times when you need to ask a question. Let’s take a look at what options this website builder provides for support.
The Help Center provides fairly comprehensive information on all of the features offered by the website builder. This includes Getting Started, Website Templates, The Wix Editor, Mobile, Domains, Wix Online Store, My Sites and many other categories. This is the logical first stop for anyone with a question or issue. There are also quite a few video tutorials, which do an excellent job of explaining the various features.There is a forum, where you can interact with experienced users of the website builder and staff members. This is also a valuable source of information for all issues, from website templates to mobile sites to SEO.
If you still need help after checking the above resources, Wix has an efficient ticket system for support. Free users have access to this system, though you will have to purchase a premium plan to get premium support. This will provide you with a faster reply to tickets. All premium plans, including the least expensive ones, entitle you to premium support. The VIP plan goes a step further and guarantees an immediate response and priority call back. One of the good things about the user friendly interface of Wix is that you may seldom have need for support. If you do need it, however, it’s readily available.
Rating for Support: 4/5.
Additional Website Builder Features Worth Noting
In addition to the professional website templates and intuitive website editor, Wix provides some additional noteworthy features. These include:
- Images. Users have access to thousands of free images that can be used with any of the website templates. With Wix, you can use and customize lots of images for free with no worries about copyright issues. The image editor will make it simple to edit or retouch your images, whether they are your own or those provided by Wix.
- Wix App Market -With over 140 apps, you can add lots of fun and useful features to your website, such as Dropbox, contact forms, gift cards, restaurant reservations, polls and lots more.
- SEO -Wix provides tools to help you optimize your site for the search engines. This includes the SEO Wizard, which automatically analyzes your site and makes recommendations on how to improve your rankings. Your site will also generate an automatic site map that will be visible to the search engines. Other SEO features include Robots.txt, Noindex and meta title and description control.
- Blogging and Social Media -You can add a blog to your Wix site as a separate page. You can add features such as galleries, tag clouds and social feeds to your blog. You can add social media icons for Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest so that it’s easy for visitors to share your content. There are also buttons such as Twitter Follow, Google+ and Facebook likes and commenting. You can even choose website templates that are made for blogs.
Wix is a feature rich website builder that makes it simple for anyone to create a website for any purpose. Its main strengths are the many impressive website templates, easy to use website editor and mobile optimization. Wix also provides a free alternative for anyone who doesn’t want to pay for web hosting. It’s always possible to start with a free plan and upgrade if you ever decide that you want to take advantage of some of the more advanced features.
Overall Rating For Wix website builder: 4.5/5